Guide Price £3,950,000
An outstanding gothic design castle, circa 1830, beautifully renovated and occupying a commanding position on Douglas Head, Isle of Man, overlooking the bay. The property is set in a private location with mature walled grounds extending to approximately 3 acres and includes a Coach House and Guest Cottage.
Harold Tower dates from 1833 - when the plot was sold for the purpose of constructing a house. The work may not have started immediately but is likely to have been within a few years and it was shown on Sherwood's map of 1949 and shows the Tower form as seen today. It is believed its name was used from the outset in reference to 'King Harold', although this is unsubstantiated. The dedication to Harold, in grounds that had previously been part of the former Nunnery Estate, may be a gesture of recompense.
The property has been in the present ownership since 2005 and an extensive and methodical programme of restoration was carried out between 2009 and 2012. The new cottage build was completed in 2013. As part of the restoration International Interior Designer, Jean-Louis Mainguy who was commissioned to advise on the project, including choosing and sourcing materials, furniture, fabrics and colours together with bespoke hand blocked wall coverings and handmade carpets throughout.
Approx 3 Acres
Douglas, Isle Of Man