Offers Over £1,200,000
Cragston House was designed by the famous architect Henry Edward Clifford who lived in Pollockshields in Glasgow and was responsible for many of the outstanding villas and tenements within the first garden suburb in the UK.
Cragston House, which dates from 1902, was built for the mill-owning Cunningham family and it was one of the first houses in Stewarton to have electric lighting installed, in 1926.
There are many notable Arts and Crafts features; barley twist balustrade, minstrels gallery, barrel vaulted ceilings in the bedrooms and several stained glass windows. In 2000 the house was sympathetically extended by the addition of a magnificent drawing room.
The main entrance to the property leads to a grand reception hallway with richly coloured panelling, a large stained glass window, an imposing fireplace and a minstrels' gallery above. Off the hall is a cloakroom and access to the three original reception rooms – a sitting room, morning room and dining room. The kitchen is fitted with country style units under granite work tops and a central island. There is a four oven red Aga, slate floor, breakfasting area and a French door to the garden. Double doors lead to the drawing room with light oak panelling and flooring, a stone fireplace and French doors to the garden.
From the hall stairs lead to the first floor. The master bedroom has a dressing room and an exceptionally well appointed bathroom opposite. There are four further bedrooms on this level, a further bathroom and two shower rooms, all appointed to an equally high standard.
Garage and Flat. A triple garage was built in 2000 in stone and in a style to complement the house and is fitted with electrically operated doors. Above the garage is a self-contained flat with living room, bedroom, fitted kitchen and shower room.
Workshop Former garage, providing excellent storage.
Greenhouse Magnificent greenhouse designed and manufactured by Hartley Botanic Ltd of Oldham. Power and light, sophisticated heating and ventilation system
Treehouse Unique treehouse by Peartree Ltd, on two levels with a sun terrace.
The gardens extend to approximately 4 acres. Electric gates open to a monobloc driveway leading to the garden and extensive parking area. To the west side of the house are the greenhouse and kitchen gardens. The grounds beyond have been landscaped and descend to a small stream at the foot of the gardens. To the south and front of the house, the gardens are more formal with a large patio and terraced lawns. To the east of the house are a rose walk and an all-weather tennis court (in need of repair).
Various planning consents have been granted in the past but not progressed. Detailed consent was previously granted for 8 large detached houses. Currently there is Planning permission in principle for 16 residential units of mixed styles.
Approximately 4 Acres
Stewarton, East Kilmarnock